Some of us have been there, others never will. It takes a special kind of person to take on Do-It-Yourself projects around the house and if you are that type of special, you may understand this internal dialogue completely.
1. “Oh this sounds like something that I could do” Really? But I’ve never done this before. What the heck is a putty knife for?
2. “What am I even supposed to be purchasing for this project?” If I don’t buy something soon the Lowe’s employees are going to think that I’m a shoplifter or something.
3. “My mother will KILL me when she sees the mess I’ve created on the patio” Damnit. There’s paint stripper and chunks of paint everywhere. EVERYWHERE. How does that even happen?
4. “Definitely didn’t buy the right stuff” I’m basically a shareholder at Lowe’s by now. How do I even go through this much paint stripper?
5. “Is there a limit to how much sanding you can do before you go insane?” I’ve already driven my neighbors insane. I’m next. I’m definitely next.
6. “It’s starting to look like actual furniture again” Who paints over wood? I don’t get it. Why? Perhaps it’s justified if they were avoiding this mayhem I’m currently experiencing.
7. “I should have just painted it” You can not sand out the patches of saturated stain. I repeat. YOU CAN NOT SAND OUT THE PATCHES OF SATURATED STAIN.
8. “Wow it actually looks like decent furniture with some fresh stain on it” Glad to know that this project wasn’t a complete waste of my time and effort.
9. “Just some wipe-on poly and this will all be over” Oh man. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think I’m there. Am I there? Please tell me that I’m there.
10. “I SWEAR THIS IS THE LAST TIME I SAND THIS THING” Can neighbors call the cops on you for this kind of noise? God I hope not. Crummy way to end up in trouble.
11. “Okay I’m actually really proud of this one” It turned out so much better than I expected. It wasn’t hard at all. Begins Pinterest search for more projects…
If you want to see the process. Click here.